Requiem for a Dad


I began to write this on October 24 2016.

My father the wonderful Gabriel Torres passed away on October 4 2016 after years of struggling with Alzheimers Disease. We have are still heartbroken, but I know that my father would never want us wallowing in grief nor would he want us feeling sorry for him having this disease. My father was a strong man, and a God fearing man who was always willing to accept God's will.  This much I remember about him, and will always remember about him.

December 9, 2020

I found this draft I began a few years ago. My Dad passed away that  year. I began to write this in order to honor and remember him, but grief distracted me. Other things too. As of today my dad has been gone for four years. I miss him as much as ever. Memories of childhood continue to come especially this year as I turned fifty. He was a strict dad, who loved Christmas and Spanish music. That included Spanish Christmas music. He loved dancing and partying. My love of Christmas definitely came from him. I can even recall nights he took us out late to visit my godfather Frank SanFiorenzo who lived in Myrtle Avenue in Brooklyn. I remember so much fun during this time. Laughter, music, and we children running around. 

My Dad was a hard working man who took care of my mom and their seven children. He held some jobs and taught us about hard work. He loved western movies and played his guitar which he played well. One of my favorite memories will always be when he would play for us children. We would crowd around him when he played and sang. 

I treasure these memories. 

Comments

Popular Posts