Summer is upon us. That humid time of year that sometimes brings that depression and sadness out of me. There are reasons for that. Some of my worse moments took place in the summer. Then there's that heat I barely tolerate. The noise people make all day when they pass through the house. Leaving bottles by our steps etc. Loud music playing at night. Oh, don't get me wrong. Summer has its own charm and there was a time I couldn't wait for it to come. As a bullied student during junior high school (It'll always be that instead of Middle school to me) Summer couldn't come fast enough. It was my escape from the bullies that tormented me. It was also that time in my life where I dreamed of beaches and summer fun.

But that was then. At the age of forty-eight, I can't pinpoint when this changed for me. Maybe years ago when I made some disastrous decisions. Maybe disastrous is not the right word. Stupid decisions. Still disastrous. But enough of that. I don't hate summer. It's just not my favorite time of year. It brings out the sad part of me now. At least much of it does.


Some of you may have read my poetry book Turmoil. This was my second book of poetry released in 2017. Maybe my talk of summer depression is one of the reasons I am sharing its cover and link again. Along with some thoughts. As I've stated on other occasions Turmoil was written during a dark period in my life. Some of the poems seem to reflect some of this darkness, but I like to believe that the reader can still catch glimpses of hope in the poems. Many people have gone through rough moments and can relate to much of the writing. It's like relating to Sylvia Plath and some of her poems which I have on more than one occasion. If you have read Turmoil I would appreciate any feedback you can give me.  Did you find the poems too dark? And if so which ones?  I have shared one of the poems below. It is titled "The Playground"

There's  now a bench of stone
the horse is gone,
the slide is no more
our ghetto playground.

With nothing to show
just benches remain
the years have been cold
it's not the same.

Turmoil is available on Amazon and on https://www.ctupublishinggroup.com/a.m.-torres-.html

I also want to remind you that Child Game was the last Tommy Hulette book. I have been working on the next book. Child Game has Tommy investigating a few so-called suicides especially after his half brother tormentor Joe Sanchez is finally released from prison.

How has your summer gone? Do you love summer or do you prefer Winter or the other seasons?




Comments

Popular Posts